Tuesday, September 23, 2008

#5: Dance

I dance because it's really, really fun, but one of the reasons I'm working on learning multiple styles is because a) you never know where you'll need to blend in with a crowd to elude some hired thugs (at a Mambo festival, a belly dancing troupe in Marrakesh, butterflies-on-fishing-poles-Cirque du Soleil-style weirdness, etc.) and b) just in case you need to use a sexy Tango to seduce the bad guy's girlfriend (e.g. Bond in "Never Say Never Again"--also NBC's Chuck). Hence, dancing is on the James Bond List.

I took a Flamenco class my senior year of college (picture at right), which was not only a great time, but also a wonderful cultural experience. I also dance Salsa and Cha Cha whenever I can, as well as Lindy Hop, East Coast and West Coast Swing. I've also studied Ballet, Jazz, Polka and other folk dances and Hustle in the past (thank you liberal arts college), and recently learned Zydeco Waltz. So much fun. Now, I dance Salsa occasionally on weekends, but I also have European Waltz, Argentinian Tango, ballroom Tango and Quickstep on my to learn list. There is an infinite amount of dance knowledge, and James Bond really should know how to do it all!

No comments: