Sunday, September 21, 2008

#3: Oxford

In "You Only Live Twice" Bond mentions that he got a first in Oriental Languages at Cambridge (Pembroke College). However, Bond studies Danish at New College in "Tomorrow Never Dies." He gets around.

When I was deciding where to study abroad my junior year of college, I mistakenly thought that Bond went to Oxford for his undergraduate degree, so I added it to my list of potential locations. And also, Oxford is the best place to study English. But mostly the Bond thing. Anyway, I ended up applying, was accepted as a JYA student, and spent the most exciting year of my life at St. Hilda's College in Oxford, where I learned how to study, research and think critically, write a seven page paper in one night, drink Scotch and beer, understand the many flavo(u)rs of English (mostly), use public transport and text message. I also met some of my closest friends and developed a love for sundry items such as pubs, beans on toast, Jaffa Cakes and balls and other social occasions as only the Brits can do them.

Amazingly, Oxford also introduced me to my wonderful boyfriend. Nick and I met fencing for the Oxford University Fencing Club, and started dating about three years later. Our relationship continues to be a fantastic adventure!

No comments: